The Turtle Mat Company was formed in 1994 when James Turtle discovered the ultimate doormat. With a background in home cleaning, James experienced first hand the damage caused by walked in dirt and moisture to floors and carpets.
James was so amazed the difference this absorbent cotton doormat made that he put his name to it and starting selling Turtle Mats at country fairs. The Turtle Mat was an immediate success and before long a mail-order business developed and retailers started to stock the product. Deciding to take things a little easier James sold the business in 2004 to some friends who were keen and eager to move the business forward.
The business relocated to the Gloucestershire countryside in 2005, allowing for expansion and the development of new products and designs. The first cotton design mats were so well received they attracted the attention of the Royal Horticultural Society and leading artists. Not just useful by the door, Turtle Mats are now widely used in kitchens, bathrooms, boats, caravans, conservatories and utility rooms.
For those who want to know a little more...
- Doormats are the primary defence against walking in dirt and moisture.
- Doormats should do four things:
- Stop dirt and water at the door.
- Store soil and water for removal.
- Protect carpets and hard floor surfaces.
- Be machine washable.
- 70-80% of dust dirt and grime in homes is walked in through doorways permanently damaging floors and carpets.
- The average 6 room home takes in 40 pounds (that's 20 bags of sugar) of dust and dirt in one year and 80% of that is walked in on shoes, boots and paws.
- Approximately 1 in 5 of us is allergic to some component of dust and more and more people are suffering from allergies.
- When asked 'What's the first thing you look at when judging cleanliness?' The most popular response was 'Floors'.
- Slip related injuries in the home are most often cause by mats on hard floors that do not have anti slip rubber backings.
- Good quality mats will keep a home cleaner for longer, reduce the costs and the time spent on cleaning materials and protect floor coverings from damage.
All text and images are the property of The Turtle Mat Company. No photographs, images or text may be reproduced, downloaded, manipulated or displayed without the written permission of The Turtle Mat Company.