The Turtle Mat Company was founded in 1994 when James Turtle discovered the ultimate doormat in his search to protect his customers floors from the damage caused by walked-in dirt and moisture to floors and carpets.
Originally used in the challenging conditions on board Scandinavian oil rigs, James was so impressed by the difference this absorbent cotton mat made that he put his name to it and Turtle Mat was born.
Starting out selling in the muddy fields of country fairs across the country, Turtle Mats proved a huge success and before long a thriving mail-order business developed and soon retailers across the country wanted to stock Turtle Mats too.
Deciding to take things a little easier, James sold the business in 2004 and at this point Turtle Mat relocated to the beautiful Cotswolds, near Cirencester, to allow for expansion and the development of new products and designs.
Turtle Mat’s first foray into design mats in 2004 was so well received that it caught the attention of the Royal Horticultural Society and leading artists and our luxury collections were born. We are proud to now work with a whole host of great British charities, institutions and designers to produce unique design collections.
Not just useful by the door, Turtle Mats are now widely used in kitchens, bathrooms, boats, caravans, conservatories, utility and boot rooms and also seasonal with our recent Christmas collections.
On the back of this success, Turtle Mat proudly joined the Kleen-Tex family in late 2016, a perfect pairing with a shared mission to provide tried, trusted and innovative products to our customers and with a focus on excellent customer service.
For those who want to know a little more about Turtle Mats, here’s a few mat facts:
- Doormats are the primary defence against walking in dirt and moisture.
- Doormats should do four things:
- Stop dirt and water at the door.
- Store soil and water for removal.
- Protect carpets and hard floor surfaces.
- Be machine washable.
- 70-80% of dust dirt and grime in homes is walked in through doorways permanently damaging floors and carpets.
- The average 6 room home takes in 40 pounds (that's 20 bags of sugar) of dust and dirt in one year and 80% of that is walked in on shoes, boots and paws.
- Approximately 1 in 5 of us is allergic to some component of dust and more and more people are suffering from allergies.
- When asked 'What's the first thing you look at when judging cleanliness?' The most popular response was 'Floors'.
- Slip related injuries in the home are most often cause by mats on hard floors that do not have anti slip rubber backings.
- Good quality mats will keep a home cleaner for longer, reduce the costs and the time spent on cleaning materials and protect floor coverings from damage.
All text and images are the property of The Turtle Mat Company. No photographs, images or text may be reproduced, downloaded, manipulated or displayed without the written permission of The Turtle Mat Company.